As a small business owner, you are no stranger to the connection between productivity and profits. However, productivity is not the only factor that contributes to the success of a business. Health and happiness are equally important, and in fact, they can have a significant impact on productivity.
When it comes to running a business, your health is often the first thing that gets put on the back burner. You may be working long hours, eating on the run and neglecting exercise. However, neglecting your health can have serious consequences on both your personal and professional life.
Poor health can lead to decreased energy, lower brain function, and increased stress levels. All these factors can contribute to decreased productivity and even lead to burnout.
Remember that caring for yourself is as important as caring for your business. To improve your health, just add one healthy habit to your routine, every day. For instance, start with 10 minutes of exercise and slowly build up to 30 minutes, or replace the sodas with water, or make sure you’re in bed by 10 p.m. Small improvements every day, to achieve big results.
When you're happy, you're more likely to be productive. * Studies have shown that happy employees are more engaged, more creative and have higher job satisfaction. As a leader, it's important to foster a positive work environment. To improve happiness and productivity in your workplace, try the following:
- Show appreciation - when your employees do well, make sure to acknowledge and reward them… and don’t forget to give yourself a pat on the back!
- Encourage work-life balance - allow your employees to take time off when needed (this does imply an element of trust and mutual respect) and encourage them to take breaks throughout the day. ** A normal attention span for adults is approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Foster a positive work culture - encourage collaboration, teamwork, and open communication in your workplace by demonstrating those behaviours yourself. Read more in the SimplyBiz Magazine - Edition 13
Last, but not least, productivity – the art of getting more done in less time. Happier people are more productive and the more productive we are, the greater our sense of achievement… and yes, the happier we are! It’s a virtuous circle. There are a few key factors that impact productivity.
To improve your team’s productivity, try the following:
- Set clear goals - make sure everyone knows what they are working towards.
- Prioritise tasks - focus on the most important tasks first and delegate tasks to others when possible.
- Embrace technology - use tools and apps that can help streamline your workflow and automate repetitive tasks. For more info check out our Tech stack.
In conclusion, health, happiness, and productivity are all essential components of a successful small business. By taking steps to improve your own health, foster happiness in your workplace, and increase productivity, you can help your business thrive.
What have you implemented in your business to encourage productivity and happiness?
Author: Janet Askew