As a busy small business owner, managing time on the run is essential to stay productive and focused. But how do you get through the ever-growing to-do list and not burn out?
Here are nine on-the-go time management tips:
- Download a mobile productivity app - Stay organised, manage tasks, and access essential information from your mobile phone. Use cloud-based tools to store important files and documents in the cloud, so you can access them from any device with an internet connection. Check out the SimplyBiz Task and Project Tech Stack for suggestions here.
- Set clear goals - Identify the most critical tasks according to importance and urgency and focus on accomplishing them first. Keep your to-do list concise and achievable. Limit it to a reasonable number of tasks you can realistically complete in a day.
- Time block - Switching constantly between different types of tasks disrupts your thinking process and wastes time. Allocate specific time slots for different activities, whether it's responding to emails, making client calls, or working on projects.
- Take regular breaks - Plan for short periods of downtime throughout the day to take a walk, eat a healthy snack or simply catch up on personal errands. It may seem counterintuitive to take breaks when you are busy, but research shows that taking breaks within work hours not only does not detract from performance, it can improve productivity. (https://hbr.org/2023/05/how-to-take-better-breaks-at-work-according-to-research)
- Delegate - Empower and trust your team to handle tasks that don't require your immediate attention. This develops their skills and allows you to focus on high-value tasks.
- Use voice commands - Most smartphones have voice assistants that can help you set reminders, make notes, or send messages hands-free, which is a good use of travel time. Travel time is also suited to reading, listening to podcasts, or planning.
- Say no - Planning your time allows you to politely decline tasks or commitments that don't align with your current priorities. It also shows where and when you can accommodate requests.
- Schedule buffer time - While you can’t predict every crisis, you can plan space in your schedule to account for unexpected situations or delays.
- Stick to your plan but adjust it to suit your personal energy levels and your business needs.
By implementing these time management techniques, you can turn busyness into productivity. Small changes can lead to significant improvements in how you manage your time, reduce stress levels and improve your well-being.
What’s your to-do list strategy? Share your tips! 👇