Creating and updating a website can be overwhelming. We've broken it down into ten steps.
1. Determine the purpose of your website?
Is it an online shop designed to sell your products online or an informational brochure for your business?
2. Choose and register the right domain name.
The right domain name for your website is crucial for your success.
- Does it contain keywords?
- Is it short and simple?
- Is it easy to pronounce and spell?
- Have you researched it?
TIP: Most domain registrars offer a free domain search to help you find available domains. (See suggested suppliers at the end of this chapter.
3. Pick a web hosting provider
- Can the host provide a reliable server?
- Can your hosting plan handle your traffic?.
- Can your hosting provider give you technical support?
4. Choose a sound content management system (CMS).
A content management system (CMS) is an application used to create and manage a website without much technical knowledge. You can use a do-it-yourself tool or a professional service to set up your website or online shop. (See suggested suppliers at the end of this article.)
5. Plan and develop attractive, memorable, and engaging content
- Display a clear description of your business upfront.
- Match landing pages with intent. For example, an invitation to enter a competition must take the customer to the competition page, not the home page.
- Ensure that it is easy for customers to navigate your site.
- Include clear call-to-action buttons.
- Make your content readable and grammatically correct.
- Use headings, subheadings, and bullet points to break up chunks of text.
- Use high-quality visuals, such as images, videos, and infographics.
TIP: Remember to compress and optimise your media, so they don't slow down your site.
- Optimise and test for all devices. According to Contentsquare, 58% of all web traffic is mobile.
- Update your site regularly.
TIP: Create, plan and edit your website content in a document before you start building your website. You'll save yourself lots of time.
6. Promote your website!
Put your web address everywhere possible, including business cards, social media, advertising, and online business directories. Experiment with paid search advertisements to attract pay-per-click traffic to your website.
Popular tools and service providers
[NEW BUSINESS SOLUTIONS]
1grid - We remove the complexities of setting up your website and enable you to go live instantly. Web design, hosting and email. We have it all under one roof.
Afrihost - Get your personalised domain name! Starting to build your online presence can be as simple as registering a domain. Register your dream company name before someone else does.
Domains.co.za - Register your domain name, or if you want to get going quickly with a great looking website, try out our Site Builder and get a free domain name included.
Xneelo - You'll need a reliable hosting partner to help you get your business online and support you as you grow. We ensure your website stays up, fast, and supported.
WIX - Discover the platform that gives you the freedom to create, manage and develop your web presence precisely the way you want.
Squarespace - Stand out online with a professional website, store, or portfolio. With Squarespace, you can turn any idea into a reality.
Shopify - Create an eCommerce website backed by powerful tools that help you find customers, drive sales, and manage your day-to-day.
WooCommerce - WooCommerce is one of the world's most popular e-commerce platforms—it can turn your WordPress website into an online store.
Divi - Divi takes WordPress to a whole new level with its incredibly advanced visual builder technology
Elementor - One platform, unlimited web creations. From landing pages, and eCommerce stores, to full-blown websites – build it all with Elementor.