Contrary to popular belief, email marketing is not dead, not even with Privacy legislation such as POPIA. Emails and newsletters are still effective for connecting directly with your customer base and promoting new products, exclusive offers, seasonal messages, and events.
Effective email campaigns are all about triggering the right communications at the right time and not 'blasting' your audience.
Why you should be marketing via email
- It’s cheap.
- You can easily segment your emails and target users by selected demographics, so you're only sending people the messages they want to see most.
- Testing and adjusting subject lines or content according to audience response is easy, allowing for improved return on investment.
- Emails allow for customer surveys and feedback, and they can be personalised.
- Email is one of the most sharable platforms.
Six common email marketing mistakes to avoid
- Poor subject lines. Use a relevant or eye-catching subject line. More than 47% of email recipients open an email simply based on the subject line?* The average open rate for emails across all industries is 21%, according to Mailchimp.
- Too many emails. Bombardment results in high unsubscribe rates. The average unsubscribe rate across all industries is 26%. Test the frequency by your audience’s response. You may be sending too many or too few emails per month.
- Right place, wrong time. The best time to send emails is between 9:00 am and 11:00 am (morning office hours). People have a habit of checking their emails as their first task.
- No CTA button. Be clear about what you want your customers to do. Read more, view online, buy now etc. According to Mailmunch, conversion rates are low, between 1-2%, so make the most of your opportunity!
TIP: Ensure you don't confuse your customer by using too many CTA buttons.
- No segmentation. Segment your email list to send relevant emails to specific target groups
- Overcrowding your email. Avoid the temptation to ‘stuff’ your emails with too much information. Readers have short attention spans. Stick to one main topic directly related to your subject line.
Popular tools and service providers
Mailchimp - All your marketing needs in one place. With Mailchimp, you can promote your business across email, social media, landing pages, postcards, and more - from a single platform.
SendinBlue - Promote your brand and grow your business with beautifully designed emails. Always send your campaigns at the best time for each contact with our Sent Time Optimisation feature.
Moosend - Growing your business was never easier. Sending great emails was never simpler.
Everlytic - Everlytic’s email marketing features make it easy to create, send, and track bulk email campaigns.
Mail Tester - Test the spamminess of your emails.